2022 Seniors Google Classroom Code






College resources:
A Parent's Guide to College - from the NYC DOE.  Parents_Guide_to_College.pdf 

Homework Help:
Khan Academy - Students can make use of this extensive video library, interactive challenges, and assessments from any computer with access to the web. Over 3,100 videos cover K-12 math, science topics such as biology, chemistry, and physics, and even reaches into the humanities with playlists on finance and history.


Q.  How do I send Colleges “Teacher Letters of Recommendation?”
A.  Only some colleges require these and the maximum is usually two.  CUNYs regular freshman college application does not require them.  Some SUNY schools and Private schools do require them.

To send teacher letters of recommendation you must first ask your teachers if they will write one for you.  Then give the teachers stamped addressed envelopes made out to whatever colleges you are applying to.  Give them any forms that the colleges may require.  If the college does not have a form, they may want the teacher to write the letter on Bayside High School Letterhead.  The teacher can also send a “Teacher Feedback Form” to the college (Teacher Feedback Form is available in Guidance).   Make sure you allow plenty of time for the teachers to write and send these letters for you (at least 30 days before the schools deadline).


Q.  How do I hand in College Applications?
A.  Fill them out online on the college’s website, at CUNY, SUNY, or Common Application.  Then, hand in to your Guidance Counselor large stamped addressed (addressed to the colleges office of admissions) envelopes with a copy of any “counselor forms” needed.  All colleges except for CUNY will require stamped addressed envelopes.  CUNY will require your OSIS on the application, as well as for you to meet with your Guidance Counselor and fill out a “CUNY information sheet.”  Don’t forget to pay the application fee online, and to send your SAT scores to each college “officially” from College Board.


Q.  When do I hand in College Envelopes? 
A.  October-December only.  Counselors will not accept application envelopes after the Winter Holiday Break.


Q.  How many colleges can I apply to?
A.  Please discuss this with your Guidance Counselor, as you should pick a variety of schools including “reach,” “target,” and “safety” schools in order to ensure that you get in to a place where you will thrive.  Typically the limit for applications is:

Up to 6 CUNY schools + as many SUNY schools as you would like + a maximum of 6 other colleges. 

All students are STRONGLY advised to apply to CUNY, as CUNY schools are the most affordable, and will automatically guarantee you a spot in a 4 or 2 year college depending on your GPA and SAT scores.


Q.  When should my child take the SAT's for the 1st time?
A.  Springtime (May or June) of their Junior year.


Q.  How do I apply for financial aid?
A.  You can apply for financial aid beginning January 1st of your child's senior year.  At that time, fill out a FAFSA form online at FASFA .  FAFSA is the form that ALL colleges will require to receive any type of need-based aid.  Need-based aid is determined strictly by the family's annual income while merit-based aid is determined by the student's grades and SAT scores. 


Q.  Can my child walk in graduation if they do not meet the criteria for graduation in June?
A.  No